Five Awesome Health Benefits of Bananas
Bananas are often considered as ‘just another fruit’. But who would have guessed that the healthy benefits of bananas are extremely wonderful? Not only are they good for heart and nerves, bananas are also good source for dietary fiber. Below are the 5 awesome health benefits of bananas.
- Bananas are good for your heart and nerves: Bananas contain a high dose of potassium – an essential ingredient to keep your heart and nervous system in good shape. Potassium is essential for proper muscle contraction and hence plays an important role in muscle-influenced activities.Some studies have also linked health benefits of bananas in the form of low potassium intake to high blood pressure and increased risk of stroke.
- Bananas are good for your kidneys and bones: Benefits to the kidneys and the bones are again due to the high potassium content of bananas. A normal intake of potassium suppresses calcium excretion in the urine and minimizes the risk of kidney stones. Also, for the same reason (suppressing of calcium excretion), it minimizes the loss of calcium from the body and thereby reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- Health benefits of bananas are again proven when bananas can act as mood enhancers or mild sedatives: Bananas contain tryptophan. Tryptophan is one of the 20 amino acids which are building blocks of proteins
- Bananas are good for your blood: Bananas, noting the health benefits of bananas, are one of the highest sources of naturally available vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 plays an important role in converting tryptophan to serotonin (read #3 above), and also helps the body to make hemoglobin – a crucial ingredient of your blood.
- Bananas are good source of dietary fiber: A single serving (one medium-sized banana) contains 16% of the daily recommended dietary fiber intake for a normal adult – that’s substantial for a single serving of any food. Fiber improves laxation (smooth bowel movements). Fiber-rich diets have also been linked to lower risk of coronary heart disease and of diabetes type 2.